Your First Visit
Preparing for Your Appointment
Once you have an appointment at one of our clinics, your referring doctor’s office will give you information about where to go to for your appointment. To prepare for your appointment, please do the following:
- Get Your Scans: If UVA doesn’t have your scans (CT, PET or other imaging), biopsy slides or doctors’ notes that relate to your diagnosis, please have your referring doctor send them to UVA Cancer Center or bring a copy (CD or DVD for imaging and slides for biopsies) with you.
- Get Support: Ask a family member or friend to come with you to your appointment to take notes.
- Get Ready: Bring a list of questions about what you can expect after your first appointment. Also, be prepared to tell the nurse what allergies you may have, the medications you are currently taking and information about your health history and family health history.
- Bring Assistive Devices: If you use assistive devices (equipment or other tools to help you walk or perform essential functions), please bring them to your appointment.
How to Get Here
Check the locations page for clinic directions and parking information. Upon arrival, if you need special assistance getting out of your vehicle, please ask an attendant outside the clinic for help.
For Patients Requiring Special Assistance
Remember to bring any assistive devices you may need and inform a parking attendant if you need help getting to the clinic for your appointment.
Once you're at your clinic location, go to the patient registration desk to check in for your appointment. If you don’t know where to go, ask for directions.
For registration, we will need your:
- Name and current address
- Primary care doctor’s name
- Insurance information, insurance card and prescription card
- Co-pay for office visit or procedure
- Social Security number*
* We may ask for your Social Security number to be sure we have the right medical record when two patients have the same name and for some government or other programs. Providing your Social Security number is voluntary, except when government programs require it.
If you have questions about your first visit, call 434.924.9333.