Nurse Navigator Program
UVA Breast Care Nurse Navigator Program
If your mammogram results show suspicious findings, you may find the steps ahead overwhelming. The UVA Breast Care Program offers you the services of a nurse navigator to assist you and your doctor in developing a personalized plan of care.
The UVA Breast Care Program includes nurses and physicians in radiology, surgery, medical oncology, radiation oncology, genetic counseling and reconstructive surgery. The nurse navigator will guide you through your care and connect you to support services, such as social workers, nutritionists, chaplains and psychologists.
Role of the Nurse Navigator
The nurse navigator coordinates your care and ensures you have a unique plan that addresses your needs and those of your caregivers.
Additionally, the navigator:
- Educates you regarding each step of your plan of care
- Acts as a liaison between you and your health care team
- Ensures your doctors have the necessary information they need to diagnose and treat you in a timely manner
- Provides you with a consistent point of contact when you have questions or concerns
- Coordinates appointments with your providers
- Follows up with you at regular intervals before, during and after your treatment